Home Service Dog Advanced Puppy Training Has Begun – Our Service Dog Journey Volume 4

Advanced Puppy Training Has Begun – Our Service Dog Journey Volume 4

If you’d like to support Zim please click here!

Zim the goldendoodle ptsd service dog candidate puppy

Isn’t he cute in his little vest?

Time is flying and it feels as though we just shared our first post opening up about our decision to move forward with getting a service dog candidate for Patrick!

Zim is now nearly 10 weeks and as of this past week he has already begun advanced puppy training! He also recently got his booster vaccines, which means he’ll be able to go out in public for training in less than a week. Such an exciting (and important) step!

He’ll be in advanced training for a few more weeks before we make our trip bring him home. We’ll be flying down to Florida at the beginning of August and then, due to his size, turning around and driving back up the east coast (a road trip we’ve done before!), so that should be quite the whirlwind adventure.  Don’t worry, we’ll be documenting the trip and sharing it with you here as well as on Instagram!

It’s crazy to think we first decided to pursue this path nearly a year ago and that the time has almost come for him to arrive–it’s a bit surreal! Once Zim is here our family dynamic will change, not just because we’ll be adding a furry family member, but because we’ll be adding his training to our family schedule. We’ll have to make sure we not only get him to his classes, but that he gets plenty of socialization, time out in public, training practice time at home, etc. It’s going to be a big change, but definitely one we’ve been preparing ourselves for as much as one can prepare.

I think Patrick and I are both feeling an equal mix of excitement and anxiety, while the boys are filled with pure joy–who doesn’t love adorable puppies? We’ve never done this before (this being raising a service dog candidate) and everything is new, which has left us with so many questions we simply won’t have answers to until we’re in the midst of it despite all of our research . It’s hard to explain the amount of hope we’ve put into this choice. For so many reasons we’re going to give this our all and do everything we can to make this successful for Zim and for Patrick.

While Zim spends the next few weeks learning and growing, we’ll be finishing up the last bits of prep we need to take care of. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a puppy in the house, so there’s been plenty to do! It’s like having a new baby in the house in some ways. 😉

We want to take this time to thank you guys for supporting us throughout this journey so far. Your words of encouragement have meant so much to us! We know we’re making the right choice for our family, but it’s been really helpful to have your support. It’s also been amazing to hear from other individuals and families that either have service dogs or are considering getting one!

If you would like to help further support Zim as he continues to train, please feel free to share our story and our fundraiser. Our family greatly appreciates every share and every donation!

If you’d like to read past posts talking about this process, check out our Service Dog series.

Thank you again and we look forward to continuing to share our service dog journey, answer questions and connect with other families considering service dogs to assist family members.

Alli Smith July 19, 2017 at 7:12 am

I’m enjoying watching the process. I’ve never known much about how service dogs are trained, etc. Zim is adorable and looks so smart! I’m looking forward to hearing more!

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Thank you so much!

Sarah Honey July 19, 2017 at 7:47 am

What a beautiful thing you are doing training a service dog. Zim looks like he will be amazing at his job once his training is done!

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:08 pm

candy July 19, 2017 at 8:13 am

What an adorable little dog. I have a friend who has a service dog. Amazing all the different things it can help her accomplish.

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:08 pm

So true! It’s crazy the individual tasks these guys can learn to perform!

Jeanette July 19, 2017 at 8:16 am

We took our puppy to get her regular training. She passed it and I really should get her in to invent a puppy training. She is a very good dog but she has a lot of energy to burn. One of the things I really need to work on with her is loose leash walking. I know the next training class will help with that. Your dog is adorable. He looks like he’s doing great in his training.

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, our golden (who is much older) always struggled with this even after classes. lol Good luck!

Christy Maurer July 19, 2017 at 9:00 am

I think it is so great that you’re getting a service dog. My counsellor has told me that I could be eligible (my husband died unexpectedly in his sleep and I can have severe anxiety), but so far the dogs we’ve had have been very comforting to me on their own. My cats help too. I think it is so important to have an animal for comfort. I love watching Zim’s story! It’ll be so fun when you get him home!

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your story! I’m so sorry to hear about your loss–how devastating 🙁 It sounds like your animals are bringing you comfort, which is amazing <3 Should you ever choose to go the service dog route in the future I hope some of our experience can help you!

lisa July 19, 2017 at 10:31 am

This is such a great thing you are doing! Service dogs are such wonderful animals to have! I look forward to reading more about Zim!

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Thank you so much!

Tomi C July 19, 2017 at 11:01 am

A friend of ours uses a service dog and sent one of their other dogs to train as a service dog as well. It’s a much needed service and I love that you are sharing your journey with us detailing the ups and downs of training a puppy for such a big responsibility.

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Thank you so much! And that’s wonderful, these dogs are so amazing <3

Jenn July 19, 2017 at 12:57 pm

I love this. We took our pups for puppy training pretty early. I wish we had followed through with more classes though.

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I feel like the first dog is kind of like the first child. You try to do your best and hindsight is always 20/20 😉

Joline July 19, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Zim is adorable. I think service dogs are gifts and are so very helpful to so many people. Enjoy the journey!

familyadhd July 19, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Thank you!

Kim July 19, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Zim is adorable and I’m sure he’ll be a great service dog. It is so true that puppies are like having a new baby.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 10:32 am

Isn’t it?!

Mimi Green July 19, 2017 at 5:09 pm

This is like getting ready for a baby. I’m all excited just reading and it’s not even my dog. Driving up the coast with a new puppy will be an adventure for sure.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 10:32 am

Definitely! Thank you 🙂

Teresa July 19, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Your family must have incredible patience! My kids would have a hard time with this I think. Not a pet – but a service dog. What an amazing experience for your family to take part in this – you really don’t hear much about the challenges of hosting and training a service dog.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

Thank you! I think because that has been the focus from the get-go they know Zim can be loved and appreciated at home when he isn’t training, but that he’s a service dog candidate so he’ll have lots of training and will essentially be “working” at times if that makes sense?

Pam July 19, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I can see this being a big change. I know that it will be a lot of work to have Zim around but it is going to be worth it.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

Thank you so much! <3

Kristine Nicole Alessandra July 20, 2017 at 4:01 am

We have a little shih tzu. He is NOT a service dog, but he seems to know if my blood sugar level is elevated or if my husband would soon have a seizure. It is weird. He sniffs my toes, sits and barks non stop. He’d only stop once I have injected myself with insulin. Your dog Zim looks like he will be a good addition to the family and I am sure he will pass his training successfully.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 10:35 am

That’s amazing!!! Diabetic alert dogs are absolutely fantastic, it sounds like your little guy already has the scent skills 😀

Amanda July 20, 2017 at 11:17 am

It is so fantastic that you are taking part in helping your community by raising a service dog. I’m always so impressed that dogs can be such a great support for people with medical issues, but then again, spending time with my dog is always the best medicine for me!

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Thank you! Yes, they’re amazing animals <3

Chubskulit Rose July 20, 2017 at 11:52 am

He does looks so cute in that vest! That’s awesome that your service dog go through training.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Doesn’t he? Thank you 🙂

Kiwi July 20, 2017 at 11:58 am

Aw this is adorable. Its like prepping for a baby.

familyadhd July 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm

It really is!

Debra J Hawkins July 20, 2017 at 5:21 pm

It is so fascinating to watch the entire process of training a service dog! I can’t wait to see more.

familyadhd July 21, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Thank you! It’s quite the process 😉

Paula Bendfeldt July 21, 2017 at 11:13 am

I am following in along this journey. For a long time we have considered the possibility of getting a service dog for my daughter. He is so cute!

familyadhd July 21, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Really? That’s great! I hope that by sharing our story we can help give you a better idea of what it may entail 🙂 We think he’s pretty cute, too!