Home Service Dog Meet Zim the Goldendoodle Puppy! – Our Service Dog Journey Volume 3

Meet Zim the Goldendoodle Puppy! – Our Service Dog Journey Volume 3

Want to save money on some puppy supplies? We’ve partnered with Walmart so you can!

We have something super exciting and super cute to share with you! We had our “puppy candidate meeting” last week and learned about the pups that might potentially be a good fit for what we need in a service dog candidate. One little guy stuck out during observation, scoring high in all 4 areas that made him a great candidate as a psychiatric service dog. We observed him and two of his siblings, but in the end he was definitely the one!

Without further ado, meet Zim! (And yes, that’s Zim like Invader Zim, for those that know the cartoon.)

Zim silver goldendoodle service dog candidate puppy

Zim is currently about 7 weeks old and in a couple weeks he will go on to do advanced training before coming to live with us and continue training alongside us (especially Patrick) for the next 2 years until he’s a full-fledged service dog.

He’s a sweet and clever boy boy that is both independent and interested in checking in with his person—the perfect combo as a psychiatric service dog candidate!

While he currently looks mostly black, he will actually change over the next two years into a pretty silver as he’s actually a silver goldendoodle! We knew we’d never be able to choose a service dog candidate based on cosmetic factors as you sometimes do with a pet and that didn’t bother us at all, but we were super surprised to find out that such a unique pup was actually recommended to be the perfect fit for us as our future service dog candidate—most of his litter actually turned out to be this fun color.

We’re very excited and super busy getting ready to pick up this little guy and bring him home in early August. Since our older golden is now 8, we’ve been out of the puppy stage for a long time, so there’s plenty of puppy-proofing to do and products to grab for Zim ahead of time.

We’re very excited to finally know which pup will be our service dog candidate (we’re so grateful one fit the desired temperament) and can’t wait to continue sharing this journey with you guys!

In other news, we thought it might be kind of interesting to share something we found the other day related to Zim and the reason we’re pursuing this path. Ticket from Malaysa to USA on Malaysia Air

While organizing and sorting through some stuff during puppy prep Patrick came across his original airline tickets from his final trip home from boarding school in Malaysia to the U.S. in 2000 after the riots. It was definitely a bittersweet moment of nostalgia and sadness. He couldn’t help but comment on how surreal it was that he was only a teen when he flew halfway around the world by himself. The timing was ironic; he had no idea he still had them and I definitely had no idea they still existed (as an ADHDer, organizing and saving important things isn’t a strong suit of his), but it was a reminder for him that he isn’t crazy; he didn’t spontaneously develop PTSD while feeling sorry for himself over nothing. He dealt with some really heavy, extreme situations very early on over the course of years that brought him to where he is today. There’s no shame in that and taking this journey towards having a fully trained service dog is yet another step in attempting to improve his functionality and life … and ours as a family.

Hopefully you guys enjoy coming on this journey with us! If you feel moved to, we’d appreciate any shares on our GoFundMe story through this link as we are still hoping to offset some of the sizable costs of acquiring and training a psychiatric service dog. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you again for the support, you guys have been so kind and we truly, truly appreciate it. <3

You can read earlier updates in our Service Dog Journey here.

Angelic Sinova July 5, 2017 at 4:52 am

Oh my goodness, Zim is adorable! A family friend of mine, who suffers from PTSD after serving in the army for over a decade, recently got a service dog and I had no idea how long the process actually took. Her dog, Mike, has been so helpful to her! I can’t wait to hear more about Zim!

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 10:56 am

That’s fantastic! Yes, the process can be quite extensive, but we’re plugging along 🙂

robin rue July 5, 2017 at 7:35 am

Zim is such a cutie. I am glad that he was able to become part of your family and I hope he’s provides the help you need.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 10:56 am

Thank you!

Christy Maurer July 5, 2017 at 8:09 am

Zim is just too cute! It’s great that his personality is going to be one that he can be a service dog for Patrick.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 10:57 am

Definitely! We are really grateful, now to get through the next 2 years of training and (hopefully) being able to pass as a service dog 😉

Jeanette July 5, 2017 at 8:51 am

Oh my gosh Zim is adorable! I am glad that you found the right dog for you. It can take so long to find the right dog to do what it is you need them to do. I am sure he is going to be a wonderful service dog.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 10:58 am

Thank you so much! Yes, finding the right temperament, especially for something like what we need, can be tough. We’re very grateful he seems to be the right fit!

Alli Smith July 5, 2017 at 9:07 am

Zim is simply adorable – such bright eyes and a beautiful face! I’m sure he will make the perfect service dog. I’m looking forward to following the journey.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 10:58 am

Thank you so much! <3

Pam Wattenbarger July 5, 2017 at 2:54 pm

How cool that Zim will be such a neat color. I know that you don’t get to pick service dogs like you do pets, so it’s a fun surprise that he’ll be a good looking dog too. Hope your fundraising continues to go well!

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Thank you! Yes, definitely cool that he’ll be such a fun color to boot 🙂

Amber Myers July 5, 2017 at 3:31 pm

What a precious dog! I love his name. I’m so glad that you found a dog that can help.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Thank you so much!

My Teen Guide July 5, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Oh he is such a cute little fur ball! I hope he successfully finishes training and rejoin your family soon. I can’t wait to see photos of him when his coat color changes.

familyadhd July 5, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Thank you! Yes, he’s already starting to change a bit with the white on his chin and chest–so neat!

Katie Kinsley July 5, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Oh what a cutie! The puppy stage is the best stage and now I get lots of cuddles from dog now that he isn’t as curious. A great addition to the fam!

NYC Single Mom July 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I have wondering about service dogs so I look forward to reading more about Zim and his training. I am so out of touch when it come’s to dog breeds. I have never heard or seen a goldendoodle. I love zim’s color now but look foward to seeing silver goldendoodle.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Thank you! We’ve done a couple posts defining what a service dog is and how it differs from an emotional support animal, so that may be helpful, too. 🙂 We look forward to continuing to share how he progresses as he grows!

Stephanie Pass July 5, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Oh what a fun addition to your family! I would love to help raise service dogs for people someday when my kids are all gone.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:04 pm

That would be amazing! There are a number of programs that have families or individuals raise future service dogs for the first year or so before they go on to training, not everyone goes through training with their service dog from early on like we will. 🙂

Eileen | yesmissy.com July 6, 2017 at 8:24 am

Zim is such an adorable pup. I’m sure he’ll make a great addition to the family!

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Thank you!

Mimi Green July 6, 2017 at 9:24 am

Zim is really cute, his color change is quite fascinating. This sounds promising, I hope Zim is the change you guys need. I respect the extensive training.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Thank you very much, we have high hopes for this little buy 🙂

Betty Boiron July 6, 2017 at 9:42 am

Zim is adorable! I can’t wait to hear everything that happens when you bring him home in August.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Thank you! We can’t wait to share that bit once we bring him home 🙂

Chubskulit Rose July 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I didn’t know that service dogs actually go through training before they come to live with you. Zim seems like a perfect one for you guys.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Some actually go through a couple years before they go home! Some go through none. There are so many different paths! Zim will have advanced puppy training before coming to live with us and then he’ll continue on through more advanced training, canine good citizen and eventually specific service dog training over the next 2 years!

Kita Bryant July 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm

What a little sweetheart! I hop you and Zim have a great time learning and growing together!

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Tatanish Worthey July 6, 2017 at 1:50 pm

You are going to love Zim! Both of those breeds are super well behaved and easy to train.

familyadhd July 6, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Definitely! We love goldens (our older golden is 8 and while he has hip dysplasia and could never be trained he’s such a wonderful pet) and poodles are insanely smart 🙂

Rebecca Swenor July 7, 2017 at 8:33 am

Dogs are great for companions. Zim should make a great psychiatric service dog and a great pet for your family. It is awesome that you are sharing this journey with everyone. Thanks for sharing your journey and the information.

familyadhd July 7, 2017 at 1:33 pm