Home Singapore A Trip To Shangri-La! – Visiting Singapore with Kids

A Trip To Shangri-La! – Visiting Singapore with Kids

Hosted

If you follow us on Instagram you may have seen our real-time posts covering our recent trip to Asia, but there’s still more to share!

Our big trip to several destinations in Asia began with a stop in Singapore where we were invited to stay with the aptly named the Shangri-La Hotel. We arrived in the wee hours of the morning, having traveled from New York to Singapore, by way of Tokyo. Though our stay was brief, we packed in as much as possible and had the opportunity to recharge before the second-half of our journey to Indonesia.

To say we enjoyed this stay would be an understatement. We (all four of us) absolutely loved everything we experienced at the Shangri-La Hotel! I hate to spoil too much, but let’s just say one of the most epic, complimentary laundry rooms may have been involved.

Check it out…

Family Suite Fit for a King … or Kings!

We spent our time at Shangri-La Singapore in a family suite, which was one of the most family-friendly suites we’ve ever stayed in.

Our suite consisted of a master bedroom with bathroom, kitchenette (nearly full-size fridge, sink, coffee machine, etc.), master bathroom, dining table and sitting area, kids room (which had both a lofted bed and murphy’s bed in addition to a play and tv area) and kids bathroom.

The room overall was incredibly comfortable! Environmental controls kept both rooms at a very pleasant temperature despite the heat and humidity outside. We had plenty of room for 2 adults, 2 older children and enough luggage to get us through 3 full weeks of travel abroad with room to spare.

Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Master Bedroom & Bathroom

Our master bedroom was super spacious. Bedding was comfortable, the bed itself was fantastic and we loved all the lighting options! The built-in dining/sitting area was a big plus in our opinions as well. It’s always nice when you don’t have to eat on the bed or struggle to find places to sit.

Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Family Suite

Shangri-La Singapore Kids Room & Bathro

We’re big fans of the separate master and kids room configuration, but we’ve never seen some of the features offered at Shangri-La! I think the kids’ favorite characteristic (one they’ve not stopped talking about since we visited) was the secret passage from the master bedroom to the kids room). Yes, you read that right. A secret passage!

In addition to the secret passage, they loved all the room they had to sprawl out–especially after spending an entire day flying.

We loved that one bed was located in the lofted playhouse while the other was tucked in a separate closet off the kids room. The boys don’t mind sharing, but it’s always nice when we can give them a little additional space away from each other now and then–especially when they’ve just spent 20+ hours flying side-by-side. They both slept really well!

Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite Shangri-La Singapore Family Suite

Their bathroom was connected to their room and came fully equipped with tons of kid-friendly amenities and toiletries. It was so incredible to see the amount of care that went in to choosing kid-specific products such as sensitive shampoos and kid-friendly toothpaste. I don’t believe we’ve ever stayed with a hotel that provided kid-sized toothbrushes before!

Really well done, Shangri-La.

They even put separate waters and chocolates for the kids in their room! The boys loved that.

Shangri-La Kitchenette & Welcome Treats

We were super excited to see that the family suite included a little kitchenette of sorts, which included a nearly full-size fridge! We always find that we keep foods with us that need to be refrigerated during our stays and having such a large fridge is super helpful. It was also really neat to see how they hid the sink in a little closet tucked into the wall in the entryway.

And of course we can’t forget to mention the yummy treats that were left for us, which everyone snacked on before bed!

Shangri-La Singapore Horizon Club

We were given the opportunity to have breakfast at the club-level lounge–the Horizon Club. Breakfast included a full buffet with made-to-order and pre-made items. Everyone found things they liked, including me! There were tons of wheat-free options, which was great to see.

Everything was fresh and delicious! Definitely a great way to start the day. We would highly recommend considering upgrading to add club-level access while staying in Shangri-La for the food and the view! Check out our video above to see the amazing view we had from our table at breakfast. When they say “Horizon Club” they truly mean horizon view.

Shangri-La Singapore Buds Kids Club

Before checking out we made sure we had the opportunity to spend a morning at the Shangri-La Kids Club. This was easily one of the largest kids clubs we’ve ever seen in a hotel (and we’ve seen some pretty impressive ones over the years. It included a large indoor space sections off for different activities and an outdoor space with a pirate ship and splash pad! If we had had more time the boys would have definitely spent more time inside (they even offer baking classes), but playing on the pirate ship structure and trying to find clues for the treasure hunt were at the top of their lists, so that’s what we spent most of our time doing.

Kids in the club ranged from very young to Seamus’s age. Certain areas were geared towards certain age groups for the most part. Staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining the incredible list of activity options (crafts, theater, etc.).

Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Buds Kids Club Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Buds Kids Club Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Buds Kids Club Shangri-La Singapore Hotel Buds Kids Club

Shangri-La Complimentary Laundry Room

While the boys were completely blown away with their secret passage, Patrick and I nearly lost of minds when we explored and used the complimentary laundry room, which was provided to guests in the family suites. Given the lengths of some of our trips, we tend to do laundry while traveling. Not only were the facilities state of the art, but they included absolutely everything a parent could need or want!

Yes, life in your 30s probably looks a lot different than what you expect it to at 20, but let me tell you … there is almost nothing as amazing as a beautiful, complimentary laundry room when you’re traveling overseas!

Serious bonus points for that.

If you’re a crazy parent that gets excited over laundry, check out the laundry room in our video above! Seriously, one of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen in a hotel.

Celebrating Seamus’s Birthday at Shangri-La Singapore

Seamus’s birthday was the day before we traveled to Singapore and when Shangri-La found out they surprised him with a mini cake and chocolates! He was really thrilled that they would think to do this for him and even though he’s a tween and doesn’t always like to show his emotions (or shows all his emotions at once … why does it work that way?) he was beyond excited.

Shangri-La Singapore Family-Friendly Resort Shangri-La Singapore Family-Friendly Resort

Final Thoughts on Shangri-La Singapore

Our experience at Shangri-La Singapore was absolutely fantastic! We’ve been to many family-friendly hotels over the years, but Shangri-La has become one of the few at the top of our list to recommend to people.

The level of thought and attention to detail put into making a family stay not only comfortable, but whimsical and fun was unbelievably impressive.

We are so grateful that we had the opportunity to experience some of the magic offered by Shangri-La Singapore and we hope to return and explore some more in the not-too-distant future!

What is the most family-friendly hotel you’ve ever stayed with? What made it stand out to you?

Shangri-La Singapore Hotel

Note: This stay was hosted. All opinions are our own.

Terri Steffes April 11, 2018 at 8:09 am

Ok, this is probably the nicest, most fun hotel I have ever seen for kids. I want to be a kid again! I loved the window seat, too. What a great place to read and write!

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 10:33 am

Right? The kids spent a ton of time watching the streets below. Singapore is amazing!

candy April 11, 2018 at 8:14 am

Wow or wow is your suit over the top awesome. Every photo was wonderful and talk about staying someplace in style. I can see why you had a wonderful time.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 10:34 am

Right? Isn’t it beautiful? <3

Amber Myers April 11, 2018 at 8:24 am

I would love to stay here one day! These photos look incredible. I’ve never been to Singapore before. Maybe one day we’ll take a family vacation there.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 10:34 am

That would be amazing! Singapore is super family-friendly and Shangri-La was just fantastic. 🙂

Tasheena April 11, 2018 at 8:33 am

I would love for this to be my next family vacation destination. Your family suite looks amazing. Love the kids space! I would love to stay there with my family.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 10:35 am

Isn’t that kid space fantastic?! One of the best we’ve ever seen.

Saidah Washington April 11, 2018 at 11:36 am

I thought I loved the adult room until I saw the kids accommodations. I’d like to take my grandchildren here one day. The hotel seems very family friendly. It looks like you guys had an amazing time.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Right? The perfect combination of adult space and kiddo space!

Franc Ramon April 11, 2018 at 12:13 pm

Shangrila has the best hotels. The one in Singapore has a lot of facilities and their room is spacious and comfortable.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Definitely! It was fantastic. 😉

Jenn @ EngineerMommy April 11, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I would love to visit Singapore one day. My family would love to take a vacation here. This hotel looks really gorgeous.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Singapore is a very cool country! I hope you get to experience it someday. 🙂

Ice Cream n Sticky Fingers April 11, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I am super impressed with this hotel suite. My youngest would love the tree fort. They thought of everything when they created this hotel. I would enjoy staying here with my family too.

familyadhd April 11, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Right? They really put a lot of care into designing this suite. Even having kid-friendly products in the kids’ bathroom impressed us! We never see that 🙂

Melissa Chapman April 11, 2018 at 8:11 pm

That was the suite made in heaven for a kid having a birthday in style. Love the perks including the kitchenette. The outdoor area looked like fun too. I would never get out to see Singapore if my hotel was this nice

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:07 am

Our oldest loved his little birthday celebration in our suite! And oh my gosh, that outdoor area was amazing <3

valmg @ Mom Knows It All April 11, 2018 at 8:55 pm

I love mini suites, having a mini kitchen can save a lot of money and is just convenient. The kids area is super cute and looks like a fun place.

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:07 am

Thank you! Yes, we love having a kitchenette, too!

Heather April 11, 2018 at 8:57 pm

What an incredible family-friendly place! I love the window seat and my kids would love that bed! Hopefully we can travel there sometime.

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:08 am

Isn’t that cute? I hope you make it to Singapore sometime soon! 🙂

Carol Cassara April 12, 2018 at 4:21 am

I’ve never been to Singapore and it’s awesome that you’re sharing your experience there! The hotel definitely looks amazing and it a place you want to stay at if you’re ever in Singapore! So lovely!

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:08 am

Singapore is a really cool place and that resort was AMAZING!

rika April 12, 2018 at 4:26 am

I used to visit Singapore once a year! I haven’t been back there since 2011… Shang-rila is a good hotel.

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:08 am

That’s awesome! They’ve done a lot of building, I bet you’d love seeing the changes!

Peter April 12, 2018 at 8:50 am

Now that’s is a suite! I would need two of them if we ever travelled there! It is truly a beautiful suite and I love how there is a play area for the kids as well as a separate bathroom.

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 11:09 am

Hahaha I think they could bring in additional beds, though I’m not sure how many. 😉 They do have other suites as well! I’m sure they’d be able to accommodate a larger family well, too!

Nancy at Whispered Inspirations April 12, 2018 at 11:14 am

This looks like an amazing place to stay with the kids! Holy moly that is beautiful!

familyadhd April 12, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Yes! It was fantastic!

Our Family World April 13, 2018 at 7:09 am

Never been to Singapore but so wanting to be there the soonest! That hotel is amazing! Really family friendly! I love all the activities the kids can engage in. I will bookmark this page and show it to my sister too. I believe they have a trip to Singapore in the works right now.

familyadhd April 17, 2018 at 12:31 pm

That’s fantastic! I hope they have a wonderful time and I hope you are able to get there, too 😉

Anjanette Young April 13, 2018 at 9:43 am

What an amazing family trip you all had! I think I’d like to spend some time in those accommodations. The Shangri-La Hotel really knows how to treat folks.

familyadhd April 17, 2018 at 12:31 pm

They definitely do!

Anosa Malanga April 14, 2018 at 9:19 am

I have never been to Singapore before and I am amazed by the place. Very nice and beautiful. Definitely a must stay hotel and perfect for families too. I will take note of Shangri-La hotel so I can check and stay here when I head Singapore.

familyadhd April 17, 2018 at 12:32 pm