Home General Travel Tips You Plan Your Own Trips?! – Part 1: Google Maps & “Your Places”

You Plan Your Own Trips?! – Part 1: Google Maps & “Your Places”

Mapping Out (Literally) Where We Want to Go

Trip planning can be a lot of work, especially when it comes to coordinating travel plans for a family that likes to see/do/eat/experience/photograph as much as possible! When our family travels I plan everything from start to finish myself and over the years I’ve come up with a lot of helpful shortcuts and techniques to help me plan more efficiently, stay organized (no small feat for a family with 3 ADHDers) and keep our trips running smoothly while we’re away.

You guys were pretty clear on Instagram that you wanted us to share how we plan our trips–ask and you shall receive!

This is Part 1 of our new series on how we (I say we because I use a lot of input from everyone in our family) plan our trips, which I’ll progressively be releasing as I plan our upcoming trip later this year to Asia.

In this step I show you how I use Google Maps and “Your Places” to create a literal map of our upcoming trip so that I can organize all of the places we want to visit/shop/eat/photograph, which later helps me decide where we’ll stay, how we’ll get from place to place and our itinerary as I get further along in the trip planning process!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’m happy to share anything we’ve learned over the years with you guys!

Stay tuned for Part 2 where I show you how we decide what accommodations to book and how long to stay for each leg of our trip. We tend to move around a lot during most trips, especially overseas!

On a related note, should we start sharing a link to list of places we visit after each trip? Hmmmm…

P.S. If you’d like to check out our full-length course on how we find cheap flights for our family, this is it!

robin rue April 17, 2019 at 2:16 pm

We always plan out everything. I usually get all the addresses and just pop them into the GPS as we go.

familyadhd April 17, 2019 at 2:44 pm

GPS is such a godsend for traveling, especially now that Google Maps basically goes everywhere lol

Alli Smith April 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm

This is so interesting! I love learning new tips on planning trips. I’m going to keep your tips in mind the next time I plan a trip.

familyadhd April 17, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Glad you found this helpful!

Sarah Bailey April 17, 2019 at 2:25 pm

It sounds like you really get your trips planned well. I have to admit I do like to have at least a few things in mind before heading off.

familyadhd April 17, 2019 at 2:45 pm

We tend to move around a LOT when we travel, especially overseas, and with 3 ADHDers in our family if I don’t have things super organized … well let’s just say things wouldn’t run very smoothly πŸ˜‰

Candy April 17, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Google maps works most of the time. In our area they messed up making the roads and nothing works. Just be sure to check everything out

familyadhd April 17, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Yep! Some countries also don’t use traditional street addresses (like Bali), so you have to watch for that as well. Sometimes a good old fashion map is the only way to navigate to where you’re going. Thankfully, the map we initially create like we did here is mostly to give us a good idea of where we want to go in a country!

Amber Myers April 17, 2019 at 3:59 pm

I love using Google Maps as well. It helps us find new places to eat and helps us to not get lost. I always plan trips before we go. My son has autism, so he needs to know what is going on at all times.

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Totally understand! There are a lot of moving parts here–ADHD, sensory issues, some physical challenges, etc.–so planning is key!

Tasheena April 17, 2019 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for sharing this! Your family trip planning process is pretty amazing. I can’t wait to plan my next family trip.

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Thank you! We wish you safe travels when you travel next πŸ˜‰

Ruth I April 18, 2019 at 9:04 am

My sister’s husband is always in charge of planning are trips. I know he uses Google maps a lot!

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 4:00 pm

That’s awesome!

Tomi C April 18, 2019 at 9:49 am

2 things. 1 – We use Google Maps when traveling. It’s one of the apps I update before traveling. Great way to find food, fun and more. 2 – Share, share, share, we can’t wait to see the places you and your family visit along the way.

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Thank you! We can’t wait to take you guys along and we’ll be sure to share a list of locations once we return!

Lynndee April 18, 2019 at 10:07 am

I’ve never thought of using google maps to plan our trips. I will try using it next time we go on a trip. Thanks for the idea.

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 4:01 pm

You’re welcome!

Jenn @ EngineerMommy April 18, 2019 at 11:27 am

When we plan trips, we do something very similar. I like to map out everything too. I also use Google Maps to visualize everything along the way.

familyadhd April 18, 2019 at 4:01 pm

It’s super helpful, right?!

Beth April 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm

I’ll have to keep these tips in mind the next time I plan a trip! I’m grateful that I don’t have to plan them the way my dad did, depending on tour books and paper maps.

Dennis Littley April 18, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Trip planning is an important part of any travel. Liking the ideas. Mapping out everything is not only a time saver but it helps in unfamiliar areas and keeps the stress to a minimum.

Marysa April 18, 2019 at 9:29 pm

I love Google! We use Google calendar and Google maps to manage a lot in our life, from planning to organizing. These are such good tools to know about!

Heather April 18, 2019 at 11:44 pm

We use google all the time. It’s a lifesaver for us when traveling and trying to find our way.

Swathi April 19, 2019 at 12:57 am

Yes I too use google to find out the places when we are travelling. It is not that easy to travel with two kids. Still we make it.

Nikka Shae April 19, 2019 at 2:01 am

In out house we have to plan out everything! We can’t wait to plan out our next trip.

Heather Barber McMechan April 19, 2019 at 11:28 am

I found out about Your Places recently. Planning ahead is always a good idea, more so when you have smaller children.